Spring is in the air......

Monday, March 7, 2011

Louise's Broccoli Bacon Raisin Salad



"Food, like a loving touch or a glimpse of divine power, has the ability to comfort." - Norman Kolpas

Another Shared Recipe from Grandma Louise!! Like I said before this is one of my all time FAVORITES!!  It's crispy, it's green, it's nutty, it's sweet and salty - everything I love all warped up into one.  I'm pretty sure this is one of my grandma's favorites too.

If you're a vegan or veggie you can just eliminate the bacon, it's equally as delicious!!



Louise's Broccoli Bacon Raisin Salad
1 head of broccoli (use only buds)
8-12 slices of bacon (Cook crisp, then crumble) - this is optional:) -  used only 6 slices too -it's up to you!
1/2 small purple onion, chopped
3/4 cup raisins
1 cup sunflower nuts

1.  Prepare ingredients.


I also soaked my broccoli in vinegar & water b/c it was fresh from the garden - this helps get out any little critters that may be in there!


2. Mix everything together - except for the bacon if you're using it.
3.  To make the dressing mix together: 1/4 cup honey mustard dressing, 2 Tbsp. vinegar, 2 Tbsp. plain rice milk (or other milk sub).  Wisk together.  Pour over salad & mix.


This is what it looked like before I added the bacon.  If you want it, add in now here - right before serving.  ENjoy!!

I changed the dressing recipe to make it allergy friendly the original recipe calls for: 1 cup plain yogurt, 1/3 cup sugar, 2 Tbsp. vinegar, & 2 Tbsp. milk.  You could try this too, substituting coconut yogurt & rice or almond milk......I'm going to soon - I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks for the recipe Louise! 
I love this salad & I hope you will too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment