Spring is in the air......

Saturday, February 11, 2012

XXX Immunity Soup


"A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor's book" - Irish proverb

So........ I'm sending you his recipe straight from bed - & if you've been feeling at all like I have you gotta try out this soup.  I was flopped on the couch watching Dr. Oz the other afternoon (yes, I am sick:)) and he had some natural remedies for colds & other winter ailments on his show.  One of the recipes was for this super immunity soup - made by chef Ming Tsai - it looked delicious & like just what I needed....AND, since my old standard 'feel-better thai chicken noodle soup' take out is hours away, I decided I better get cookin'!!

I changed the recipe a bit based on my tastes & my cupboard, but if you want to check out the original recipe, you can find it here: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/shiitake-hot-and-sour-soup

Dr. Oz also has lots of other great natural & holistic remedies to check out on his site too if you're interested.

XXX Immunity Soup 
This recipe makes enough for 2 - just double as needed....
1.  Chop up  about 1/2 Tbsp. of garlic, 1/2 Tbsp of ginger & 1 bunch of scallions (some of the stems included).


2.  In a large soup pot heat up 1-2 Tbsp. of grapeseed oil to coat.  Add in the chopped veggies & simmer for a minute.  Then add in 2-3 big handfuls of sliced mushrooms of your choice.   Add some salt & pepper & let this all sweat for about 5 minutes.


3.  Add in 4 cups of chicken or vegetable stock & the juice of 1/2 of a lemon:


4.  Simmer this up and add in 2 sliced or shredded carrots, 1 sliced zucchini and/or 1/2 bunch of fresh or frozen spinach.  (You can pretty much add whatever veggies you have lying around - go wild!)
5.  Cook for about 5 more minutes & that's it!  - you're done!

You can even handle making this if you feel like poop:) - it's pretty darn fast.  

I was going to tell you about all of the wonderful immunity properties of everything in the soup, but I'm strung out on cough remedies & I think I better go.....

Here's a farm sunset for ya: 


ENjoy!!

4 comments:

  1. the soup looks great - the sunset is beautiful!! two votes from the east
    coast - one for jubilee farm (you know who that's from!) and one for
    frontier farm. hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks!! hope it helps you feel better:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i recently made this for two men who need some immunity 'help' - rave
    reviews from both of them! thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad they liked it! - i have to say it really helped take the sniffles away

    ReplyDelete