Spring is in the air......

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Gluten-free Easter Biscuits


Happy Spring & Happy Easter!! 
Hope you are enjoying the new season and all the changes it brings.

Over here the weather is getting nicer, and lots of spring planting has already begun.........especially thanks to a visit from my mom and pops last week!  They came from the east to visit the little bundle and hang out on the farm. And now we have the beginnings of what is going to be a beeeeeeautiful garden.  It was great having them here and I miss them already!

Since then, I've been meaning to post a few recipes, but I honestly don't know where to begin!! In some ways I feel like I haven't even had a chance to come up for air.


I know this blog is focused on "food we can all eat", but my thoughts are all over the place and its hard to just concentrate on recipes........These days I feel like I could be posting about all kinds of things: life with a new baby/ how to survive living with your in-laws/pioneer life/organic farming/how to not go nuts before turning 34/............

My little cooking buddy displayed my range of emotions well while we were making these biscuits:




Life has been crazy to say the least, but I remembered I can forget about it all and just cook.

So that's what I did.

I came across this recipe for Easter biscuits, and I thought I'd give it a gluten-free whirl. Boy am I glad I did, because these were delicious.  I had one with a nice cup of coffee this morning and it was sooooo good!

I adapted the recipe from here & made a few changes: http://naturalmothersnetwork.com/2012/04/easter-biscuits/
linked from another awesome blog I just discovered: http://www.beingfrugalbychoice.blogspot.com/ - check it out for some cool, inexpensive ideas on all things.

GF/ Vegan Easter/Spring Biscuits
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Soak a handful of raisins in 1 tsp. of vanilla extract, the juice of 1/2 a lemon and 1-2 tablespoons of brandy (brandy optional- I didn't add any to mine & I was still delish)
2. Mix together 1 cup of gluten free flour, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, 1/4 tsp. ginger and a pinch of salt.
I had a little help here....................

...............but then he just wanted to eat the spoon!

3. Incorporate 4 ounces of earth balance or other butter sub. into this dry mixture.  Wisk in 1/2 cup of light brown sugar.  Add the raisins and 1 mashed up banana (or other egg sub.) & stir it up!
4. Knead the dough & let it sit on a floured surface for about 10 minutes.  I found that I needed to add a bit more flour here to keep the dough together; see how yours goes.
5. Roll out the dough and cut it into circles with a knife or cookie cutter.  Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes.  Keep an eye on them so they don't burn.........

.......you can sprinkle on a little sugar while they're still hot if it floats your boat.

Voila!  Delicious biscuits for your morning (or afternoon or evening) delight.

"Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes.  Don't resist them; that only creates sorrow.  Let reality be reality.  Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like." ~ Lao Tzu

(this may be my new mantra!)

ENjoy!!


1 comment:

  1. Hope you all had a great weekend! Of course I wanted to post this Easter morning but my crazy lifestyle wouldn't allow it......! Try these out anyway & I promise you won't be disappointed:)

    ReplyDelete