Spring is in the air......

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Spicy Baked Chicken


This recipe was given to me by my mom's friend Edna.  Whenever I go over to her house she always has something good out to eat!  She gave me this recipe when I was home visiting & told me it was fabulous and that I had to try it out.  Was she right!! This was some delicious chicken.


Edna said she made this spicy chicken as part of an Indian feast for a group.  It came from a great Indian cookbook she has.  I made it last night with some grilled veggies & rice.  Whatever you decide to pair it with, you won't be disappointed.

If you're vegeterian, you could also try this recipe with tofu or another substitute.....and be sure to post how it all turns out:)  The recipe came from an Indian cookbook.

Edna's Spicy Baked Chicken
This recipe makes enough for about 6 people.  I made it on the grill, but you can also bake this chicken in the oven as well.
**NOTE: You have to marinate the chicken for about 3 hours before cooking, so you'll want to do this in advance.  (I didn't marinate it the full time & it was still delicious, but I'm sure the flavor comes through even better if you let it marinate longer:))
1.  Combine: 1 Tbsp. ground cumin, 1 Tbsp. paprika, 1 and 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper, 1 Tbsp. fresh ground black pepper, 3 tsp. salt, 2-3 cloves of garlic- peeled and mashed, and 6 Tbsp. of lemon juice.  Mix it all up and rub it on to about 3 and 1/2 pounds of chicken pieces.  I used skinless chicken, but you can also keep the skin on for this recipe.  Let it sit in the fridge and get flavored up for about 3 hours.
2.  Now, preheat your grill or oven to 400 degrees F.  Put the chicken pieces and marinade into some foil and place on the grill or in the oven:


In the oven, cook the chicken for about 20 minutes on each side, flipping.  On the grill, it took a little less time - about 15 minutes on each side.  While the chicken is cooking, baste it 3-4 times with the juices.
3.  Remove it from the heat, serve with sauce & ENjoy!!  Thanks Edna!




No comments:

Post a Comment