Spring is in the air......

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Back to Cali Dinner: Beet & Apple Salad w/ Herb 'Cheese', Grilled Corn & Fiesta Chicken


Yes, I'm back in Cali and back to bogging.  Sorry I didn't even really get to say goodbye,....it just seemed like before I knew it I was traveling to the East coast and then I was back again.  We went to see my little sis graduate from college.  GO Katie!!



She was reeeeeeeally jumping for joy!  

We were all so proud!! It was great to be back on the east side of things and see some family & friends:)   I have to say I'm glad to be back in Cali too:), and inspired to make some great food!

This 'Back to Cali Dinner' was delicious - try it out for something sunny and different.  

Beet and Apple Salad w/ Herb 'Cheese"
While I was in NYC, I had a great beet and apple salad that inspired me to make this one.  I also made a vegan 'goat cheese' to top it and it was pretty darn good!  

Fresh red and golden beets from the garden.......

This recipe made enough for 2.
1.  Chop up 2-3 beets, depending on how large they are.  I used red and golden beets and they were sooo good:)  Also, chop up 1/2 apple.  
2.  Get some fresh lettuce, wash & break it up for your salad.

I picked mine - of course:)

3.  Combine everything in a large bowl & add 1/4 cup chopped pecans.  Toss it up:


4.  Add your dressing - I used balsamic vinagrette. 
5.  To make the 'cheese':  I used 2-3 Tbsp. of this vegan gourmet cream cheese:

(It's made with soy, so make sure you can have it)

In a bowl combine the 'cream cheese', 1 tsp. fresh chopped cilantro, salt, pepper, and a dash of cayenne pepper.  Dollop it on top of the salad & ENjoy!

Grilled Corn & Fiesta Chicken
1.  To make the corn: Heat up your grill & put the husked corn directly on.  Keep cooking & flipping until it's cooked and it's browned or charred as you like it.
2.  To make the chicken:  Season 1-2 chicken breasts with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and taco seasoning.  Cook on the grill for 10-15 minutes, flipping.  (You could also do this with tofu if you like.)


ENjoy!

2 comments: