Spring is in the air......

Friday, May 6, 2011

Cinco de Mayo Taco Fiesta! - Gluten Free Tacos


Hope you're having a great FRIDAY & that your weekend is or will soon be off to a great start!!

Just had to share with you our Cinco de Mayo fiesta - it was delish!  I was feeling so festive I even tried to whip up some handmade corn tortillas............ & they were pretty darn good:)  - really tasty, just a little hard to keep together.  Try some out if you're feelin' frisky..........& if you have a good gluten-free corn tortilla recipe, feel free to send it my way!!


Yellow Rice
1.  Start by cooking some white rice according to the package directions - I used my rice cooker....  I also added in a pinch or two of saffron to make it yellow.  Stir it all up.


Once done it'll look fluffy & delicious like this:):


2.  Slice up & season your chicken or tofu - I seasoned the chicken here w/ salt, pepper & some taco seasoning.  I also added in 2 or 3 small green onions, chopped up.  
Add a Tbsp. or two of olive oil to a skillet & heat it up.  Add the chicken or tofu and cook thoroughly.
Once done I shredded it up more to fill the tacos.


3.  To make the TACOS!:  (I used blue corn flour - you can use regular corn flour too.)
This recipe made 4 large tacos.
In a large bowl, add 1 cup of corn flour & 1 tsp. of salt.  Stir in about 1/2 cup of water - more or less to get it to the right consistency.  I ended up having to add more flour because the dough was way to wet - try to get it to a good consistency where you can roll it out & it will stay together. 


4.  If you have a tortilla press, you can use it here.  I used a plate & my hands:) -I first put down a layer of plastic wrap on the plate & a drop of olive oil before pressing the dough in (This helped to keep it from sticking).  Press it into the plate to get a good shape.  


5.  Heat up some olive oil in a pan & place the tortillas in once it's hot.  Cook evenly on both sides - about 5-10 minutes each depending on how thick they are......You could probably make them a little thinner & make more than 4 tacos.  

I also made some beans to go w/ the rice....here's a tomato-free version from an earlier post if you're interested: Rice and Beans

Put it all together & ENjoy!! - We had our tacos with some sliced avocados & salsa - & a green salad on the side:)

2 comments: