Spring is in the air......

Friday, January 21, 2011

19th Nervous Breakdown!! = Allergy Friendly pizza:)

radishes from the garden

So, after having about my 19th nervous breakdown when it comes to people I love eating pizza in front of me, I decided it was time to work on creating some pizza I could eat myself!!  (so I don't eat the people I love!)  Pizza has always been one of my favorite foods......until I discovered I was allergic to just about every ingredient in it - funny huh?  I looooove pizza - and ever since I have started this new diet, the one thing I have serious issues with is PIZZA!!



My 1st Breakdown happened around Thanksgiving time.....My whole family was here visiting me and my bf for the holiday.  One night after T-giving they decided that they all wanted to order pizza.  Wellll, having just started my new diet, I knew that I may have a freak out watching them eat pizza in front of me.  So, I asked if maybe they could get something else - Well, sure they could get something else but they were still going to get pizza......Flash forward to me in the bathroom upstairs crying, and my family downstairs enjoying pizza.  Oh yeah they ordered me some gluten free pizza, but I was still scared to eat it b/c I was pretty sure there was something in there I was allergic to.   My mom, champ that she is, actually started eating it though, and telling me how good it was.  Thanks Mom!  I got through it with some minor yelling and deep breathing, and it worked it out in the end......(thanks Mich!)

19th Breakdown happened the night before last.  My bf and I were too tired to cook, so we decided to order some food (pretty limited choices with my exta-'special' diet).  We ordered some roasted chicken, and I was just going to make a salad and eat some other leftovers.  After ordering the food, he 'forgot' to mention that he also ordered a pizza.  So, after it got here I, of course immediately smelled the cheezy goodness and screamed "you ordered pizza!?!?!" Well, yes he did and I had to find a way to cope.  After having serious additude the rest of the night, and adding waaaaaay too much fake cheese to my left-over polenta to compensate, I decided I needed my new mission to be making pizza that tastes good and that I can eat!

I have tried some pre-made brands of allergy friendly crust, and lets just say they leave a lot to be desired....So, without further ado here is the PIZZA WE CAN ALL EAT!!:
and I have to say it was pretty delicious.....I even made a tomato-free sauce - try it out Jenn!!

Allergy-Friendly Tomato-Free Pizza w/ Spinach & Zucchini
I adapted this pizza crust recipe from one I found on funkyfoodallergiesblogspot.com - I def. need to check this site out again b/c it looked like there were lots of great recipes..... In my crust I used 1/2 sorghum flour, and 1/2 corn flour.  The recipe that I adapted from  had no corn, and if you're allergic to corn you could instead use quinoa flour, millet flour, oat flour or buckwheat flour.  I plan on trying out some of these other varieties in the future, so I'll let you know how it goes.........

1. Preheat oven to 400 and grease a baking or pizza sheet.   
2. Mix together: 3/4 cup flour (I used a mixture of corn and sorghum flour), 1/4 cup tapioca starch, 4 Tbsp. olive oil, & 1 1/2 tsp. salt.  
3.  Once this is incorporated, add 1/4 cup of water to make a nice sticky dough.  If you think you need to, add a little more water.
4.  Press the dough into the oiled sheet.  My dough filled up about 1/2 of a cookie sheet.  If you want to make a full sheet, just double the recipe.  Bake for 5 minutes.
5.  Remove crust form the over and add toppings.  I added my spinach sauce (recipe below), some zucchini slices, some grated fake cheddar cheese, and fresh oregano and thyme.  You can go wild and add whatever you think sounds good (more veggies, different sauce - pesto or olive oil, meat, cheeses, ..........!)

6. Bake for another 20-30 minutes, when the crust is browned how you like it and the toppings look done.  Enjoy!!! This is realllllly good - & it won't make you itch!!

Spinach Pizza Sauce
1. Add about 2 tsps. olive oil to a pan and heat up. 
2. Dice up 1/4 cup onion and add it to the pan when the oil is hot.  
3.  Add 1 package of spinach (about 4 cups uncooked), and saute until the spinach has wilted.
4.  Turn off the heat, and top spinach mixture with some fresh lemon juice, salt and a bit more olive oil.
Mmmmmmmmmm - add to the pizza and enjoy! I think this would also be really good on bread or used as a base for a dip....



Cooling Salad
I also made a salad with fresh radishes (above), mixed lettuce and cilantro from the garden.  
I added some carrots and italian dressing.  It was really fresh and cooling!

Together - great! Hope you really do enjoy this pizza meal and that it helps curb some cravings......I sure think is going to prevent my 20th nervous breakdown from ever happening!!




No comments:

Post a Comment