Spring is in the air......

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Last Night's Dinner

Well, I have a few past recipes I want to post, but those can wait.  Since it was so goooood, here's last night's dinner:
Jerk Chicken, "Cheesy" Polenta Corn Grits, & Strawberry Salad
Doesn't it look tasty? It was!!
Here's the recipe:



Jerk Chicken:
1. Cut up one or two chicken breasts (skinless and boneless)  - depending on how many are eating...AND sister, I did use organic free-range chicken!
2. Rub on any jerk rub - you could even make your own - we have been using "Busha Browne's"         Traditional Jerk Seasoning Rub, and it's really delicious - & allergy-friendly - woohoo!
3.  Fry/saute in a wide pan for about 20 minutes, or more depending on how crispy you like it.
Let cool & dig in!

"Cheesy" Polenta Corn Grits
This recipe makes a good large batch of polenta - probably enough for 6-8 people, depending on your appetites!  If you want to make less, just half everything in the recipe.
1. Bring 6 cups of water & 1 tsp. of salt to a boil.
2. Once the water is rapidly boiling, stir in 2 cups of corn grits.  I used "Bob's Red Mill" variety, but there are others too.  Lower the heat to a simmer, and keep stirring the grits frequently, for about 20-30 minutes.  You can check by tasting the grits to see if they're done.
*ADDITIONS* - I added some "delicious" fake cheese to my grits.  Luckily I had my bf try some before adding it into the whole pot, b/c he sort poo-poohed it and gave me the stank eye when I suggested adding it. I thought it was great but some people have been questioning my taste buds lately, so you be the judge!  I also added some soy free butter substitute, and of course my bf slathered it in real butter and cheese - I'm sure this was ok too:)
You could also add some veggies to make the meal even healthier!!

Spinach and Strawberry Salad
This is one of my favorite salads - so easy and quick!
1.  Wash and add fresh spinach to the bowl
2.  Slice up and add a few starwberries.
3.  Chop and add walnuts if you like - you can leave them out too
4.  Add your dressing - we used a balsamic vinagrette - really good w/ the strawberries.
ENJOY!

Here it all is again, up close:
mmmmmmmm!
Really good, and those cheesy grits really helped with some of my cravings....pretty quick to whip it all up!  Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment