Spring is in the air......

Monday, January 31, 2011

Breakfast of Champs: Berry Chocolate Oatmeal

"All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast." - John Gunther

(......or I say sometimes any breakfast at all!!)

I figured out this delicious breakfast (or lunch, or dinner!) by accident when I was camping.  We made some oatmeal over a little cooking stove, but it was pretty bland and blah.  So, we added some dried fruit and hot chocolate powder into the mix, and wow!  - Breakfast of Champs.  It got me through the rain and out of the wilds........At first I thought it was just good because I was starving in the wilderness, but then I tried it when I got home & it was still really good! Actually better!

yum! try it out b/c it's easy, delicious & filling any time!


Berry Chocolate Oatmeal (Gluten Free!)
Boil water, to cook gluten-free oatmeal according to the package directions.  I used Bob's Red Mill Variety:
They are really good & filling - esp. when you can't have wheat!  My Dad (thanks dad!) bought them for me when I was home for X-mas & I can't get enough of them! -good for cookies, pancakes, muffins, & I'm sure more.

So, when your oatmeal is cooked (usually about 10-20 mins.), stir in: 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder (or more depending on how chocolatey you like it) AND  1 Tbsp. Florida crystals or other cane sugar (add none if you want to eliminate the sugar, or more if you want it sweeter:)). Stir.
Now add in 1/4 cup of blueberries and 1/4 cup sliced strawberries.  You can also add more of these if you like, or different kinds of berries.  This is sooooooo delicious.  The strawberry bites taste like chocolate covered strawberries - yummy - for breakfast, lunch, or whenever you need an energy packed meal or snack.  You could also use dried or frozen berries.  So delicious, healthy & good!! ENjoy!
.......i practically licked the bowl clean!

January is also National Oatmeal Month - so Enjoy  - See you in February!

2 comments: