Spring is in the air......

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

YO! Not-Your Regular Nacho "Cheeezy" Bites

So, I have been craving some nacho cheese lately.  It all started alfter my bf and I went to this raw foo-foo restaurant in O-town last week.  I won't name any names but this restaurant serves all raw vegan foods, and they sure do charge for it too.  My bf ordered this nacho cheese sauce that he said I had to try b/c it is soooo delicious.  He was right.  And they also charge up the wazoo for it too! A small little side cup (like the ones they use for LITTLE dressings - just to get some perspective) of the stuff was about $35.00.  Well, not really that much but close - too much anyway.... I decided that it was great, but not thaaaaat great that they can rob people for it, and that I had to make some of my own and share it with EVERYONE!!!

So, here's the nacho cheese recipe, along with the rest of these delicious bites - the bites recipe came from a life and raw food blog (which I also adapted). I experimented a lot, and I think this nacho cheese recipe is pretty damn good - for 'fake' cheese.  Enjoy!


Reeeallly good! Sorry the picture is a little blurry, I just couldn't wait to scarf them!!!!!!



Nacho Cheese
In a blender or food processor, combine 2 cups of cashews, 2-3 garlic cloves (depending on your taste), 4+ tablespoons of nutritional yeast, 2+ tsp. tumeric (to make it yellow/orange cheezy) paprika, cayenne pepper,salt, fresh ground pepper, and tomato powder (if you can eat it!)
Blend or process all of this together until it is smooth.  You may now want to add some water or olive oil to the mixture to make it less thick.  This is also depending on your taste - some people like it really runny, others don't.  Either way it does look like Kraft or Velveeta cheese and I love it!!
You should taste the cheese now, and if it's not delicious and to your liking, you could add some other seasonings, and more salt or pepper.  ALSO, I said + with the nutritional yeast b/c this is what makes it taste cheesy.  Add more if you think that your nacho cheese needs more cheesy flavor.
* This does make a lot of cheesy goodness, but you'll probably want a lot if you happen to be feeling as deprived as I was......... And, if you wanna get rid of some you can always take it the streets and make some rent money!!

Taco "Meat" Filling
For this part I made fake taco meat for my vegan buddies:), But I'm sure you could also add some real taco meat as well, and it would also be really good.  (My bf did have to add in a little chorizo sausage)
Take about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of walnuts, 3 carrots ( I used multi-colored), a few green scallions, 2-3 cloves garlic, cumin, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper.
Grind all of this for a few seconds until it looks good and meaty. mmmmmmmm....

Now, you're ready to make the delicious nacho cheesy bites!
Start with a fresh piece of lettuce.   I decided to be uber-healthy and I got some fresh lettuce leaves from the garden:
Dad would be proud!!

-Wash the lettuce and let it dry.  I used my super-amazing new salad spinner that my fancy mom got for me.  Works like a breeze-and it's so nice I think she wanted to exchange it for her old one!!
-Ok, so place the lettuce leaves on a plate.  Arrange them, and then fill each one up with some of your fake or regular meat.  Then top with some of the nacho cheese deliciousness.
Top these with some slices of avocado, and some chopped up cilantro (I know you'll love it!)
You could also use the ingredients to make a plate of nachos.  Just add some corn chips into the equation and I'm sure it would be delicious too.  But I guess the lettuce version is a little healthier:)

Have fun eating these yummy bites! I did!



No comments:

Post a Comment