Spring is in the air......

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Vegan Shepherd's Pie


Hey guys! It's April 20th & you know what that means:).......only 10 more days until the FOOD PHOTO CONTEST is over!!! - so send me those pics! -** Remember, the winner gets an Amazing Super Prize basket & everyone who participates gets a  PRIZE too!
The info is on the right over here-----------------------------> if you missed it:)

And, if you're feeling like you need a little warming up, inside or out, this Shepherd's Pie is for you!! Granted, it did take a little longer to make than I thought it would....but it was delicious!  Maybe you can try it over the weekend or when you have a little more time. - Whenever you try it, you won't be disappointed!



You could also add in some ground meat if you wanna have it carnivore style.  I used tempeh - made out of soy.  I know I have not been using soy in the recipes here regularly, but my skin is getting better & now I can start trying some stuff.  Woo Hoo!!!  ...my eczema is all healed up, AND I found out yesterday that I don't have to go for acupuncture anymore!  So my crazy lifestyle changes are working!!! There is a method to my madness...& I feel a million times better!

My mom's friend Tony at yoga said that a Chinese practicioner once told her "you can change your whole life by just changing one thing in your diet" - amazing, but TRUE.  By committing to this diet and lifestyle, I feel that my whole life has changed!

SO, let's get to the recipe:)

Shepherd's Pie
(I adapted this from the cookbook "1,000 Vegan Recipes")
This made a large 9x13 pan of pie - big enough for 4-8 people depending on what else you're having:).
1.  Preheat the over to 350 degrees F.  Boil a small pot of water for the potatoes (big enough for 4).
2.  Start making your mushroom gravy:  In a large skillet/sauce pan heat up 2 Tbsp olive oil.  Add in 1 chopped scallion or a leek.  Cook for a few minutes & then add in 1 package of mushroooms - thinly sliced up.
3. Cook for another minute or two, and then add in 2 cups of vegetable broth, 2 Tbsp soy sauce (if you can have it), and 1 Tbsp. chooped parsley.  Bring to a boil and then lower heat.
4.  In a small bowl, mix together 2 Tbsp. corn starch and 1/4 cup water.  Wisk it up until well combined & then stir it into the mushroom mixture.


5.  Keep mixing it in until it all thickens - about 3 minutes.  It'll look like this:


Remove from heat.
6.  Once the potato water is boiling, add 4 chopped up yukon gold potatoes & cook until tender.  Drain, and mash 'em up with 1-2 Tbsp. vegan butter substitute & 1/4 cup plain almond milk.  Mix & mash it up to make your mashed potatoes:)
7.  In another skillet (or just dump out the shroom gravy & use the same skillet) - heat up 1 Tbsp. olive oil over medium heat.  Add in 1 chopped carrot, 1 chopped celery stalk & one chopped yellow onion.


Can you believe this carrot came form the garden??  I almost couldn't!

8.  Cook up the veggies for a few minutes, & then add in a package of tempeh - separating it as you add it in.  Saute for another minute.  Stir in some salt & pepper.


This is the tempeh I used & it was really good!:


9.  Add the mixture into a 9x13 baking dish & stir in 1 cup frozen peas and 1 cup frozen corn (or other frozen veggie substitute you have lying around).  Pour the mushroom 'gravy' over it all & stir it up. 


10.  Now cover the whole thing with a nice layer of your mashed potatoes & spread it out.  Bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes.  It's done when the top is brown & you can see the insides bubbling & cooking (we had to take it out early b/c we were staaaarving & it was delicious, but you can cook it longer).


ENjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment