Spring is in the air......

Friday, March 11, 2011

Gluten-Free Vegan Crusty Bread


To keep the shared recipes going, I'm going to post another one shared by my Aunt Lynn.  She is always thinking of me - seriously, there's not a holiday that goes by that I don't get a card from Aunt Lynn!  I always appreciate her thinking of me, and this recipe is no exception.....

She saw an article on the Gluten Free Girl in a food mag with some recipes - and she's so sweet she sent them to me! So, last night I decided to try and make the Gluten Free Girls' Crusty bread....with a few adjustments:)  I made it vegan and skipped the yeast too (you could try it with - if you can have the yeast).



Either way it's some delicious crusty bread that EVERYONE can enjoy!  Thanks Aunt Lynn!

Yes, Liz!! You CAN have your crusty bread too!!

Gluten-Free Vegan Crusty Bread
1.  Make your flax gel (to equal 2 eggs):  combine 6 Tbsp. warm water and 2 Tbsp. flax meal. Mix well to combine and let sit for about 10 minutes until gelled.


Combine with a mixer: 1 and 1/4 cups potato starch/flour, 1 and 1/4 cups almond flour, 2/3 cup oat flour, and 1/2 cup millet flour.  Mix for about 30 seconds until incorporated.
2.  Now add 2 tsp. xanthan gum and 1 and 1/2 tsp. salt.  (add 1 Tbsp. of dry active yeast here if you can have it & you wanna use it).  Stir again.
3.  Add in 1 and 1/3 cups warm water, flax gel (from b/f), 2 Tbsp. canola oil, & 1 Tbsp. honey.  Mix at medium speed so that everything is sticking together.


4. Place dough in a large bowl that you've oiled and let it sit.  Let rise for about 2 hours if you used the yeast (until it double in size)....If you didn't use the yeast like me, it's really not going to rise but I just let it sit for about 1/2 an hour to get incorporated.


5.  Preheat over to 425 degrees F.  Cut the dough in 2 (if you used yeast). Mine wasn't that large b/c I omitted the yeast, so I just made one large loaf and circled it around.


6.  Bake on bottom oven rack for 30 minutes - watch the bread so it doesn't get burned!!  Then let it sit for about 30 minutes before serving.



This was really crusty and delicious - definitely not the real thing, but pretty darn good to help fill my cravings! I think it would be much better with the yeast, so definitely use it if you can.

ENJoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment