Spring is in the air......

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Rainbow Pasta w/ Pecan Pesto & Olives (Chicken Optional) + A Microgreen Salad


This is another easy one-pot din din for everyone to enjoy! The pecan pesto came about by accident.  I knew I wanted some pesto, and usually I add pine nuts but I didn't have any.  So I tried the pecans, and they were delicious!

Try it out tonight, or any night - it's super easy and I used some quinoa pasta from "Pagodas"  This stuff is really yummy - a little less heavy I think than the rice pasta, but you be the judge!



Rainbow Pasta w/ Pecan Pesto and Olives
1.  Bring a pot of water to a boil & cook your quinoa pasta according to the package.  This cooks pretty darn fast - mine was done in about 6 minutes!  Be careful not to overcook it or it comes out really gummy - I speak from experience if you're like me use a timer:)
2.  In a large skillet, heat up 1 Tbsp. oil.  Once heated up, add in 1/2 chopped onion.  Cook for a few minutes until it's sweating.
3.  If you want to add chicken, tofu or satay, etc.  add it here and cook it up.
4.  If not, move on to the pesto and turn off your onions for a minute.
5.  Pecan Pesto:  In a blender, combine 2 large handfuls fresh basil leaves, 1/4 cup of pecan and olive oil - you can judge how much you need based on blending it - add more if it needs some help, but you don't want it too oily.  Add in some salt and fresh pepper to taste.  Blend.
6.  Now add this pesto mixture into your skillet, and if you had the heat off turn it back on to a low heat.
7.  Chop up and add in 1/4 cup kalamata olives and 1/4 cup pecans.  Stir it all up, add in the pasta and mix it up.


ENjoy while it's hot!!


I picked up some microgreens at the store & added them to my salad. Did you know they're one of the most nutritious things you can eat? - packed with good enzymes, antioxidants, anti-carcinogens and phyto-nutrients.  The are full of calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, vitamin B, riboflavin, thiamine, folic acid, and lecithin.  Sounds good to me!! (If you've been on a bender pick up some of these and you can feel oh-so-healthy!)

Microgreen Salad
1. In a large salad bowl, combine a few handfuls of mixed greens, handful or two of microgreens, 1 or 2 sliced carrots, and 1 sliced cucumber.
2.  Add dressing - I used olive oil & vinegar. YUM!


Before we go, I just have to give a shout out to my Uncle Mike: HAPPY BIRTHDAY Uncle Mike!! Thanks for being such a great Uncle!  You inspire me to think, question and fight for what I believe in & I Love You!

"A little rebellion every now and then......is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

No comments:

Post a Comment