Spring is in the air......

Monday, March 7, 2011

Louise's Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake (Gluten-free & Vegan!)

*****A WEEK OF SHARED RECIPES************

I've been receiving lots of recipes from friends and family - recipes We Can All Eat!  (thanks guys;)
And this week I want to share them with you here.

The first two recipes are passed on from one of the best and most-experienced cooks I know - my Grandma Louise!  She's been cooking for a lot longer than I've been around - & she's definitely taught me a lot!!  A few years ago for Christmas she made me and all of my cousins these amazing recipe books with some of her great recipes.  And the next two are borrowed from there.  The first, a delicious Coffee Cake you can enjoy any time of day.  And coming next, my FAVORITE Broccoli-Bacon-Raisin-Salad.

As Grammy said "Every now and then some 'comfort food' might just hit the spot". Isn't that the truth!!


Here's all the ingredients she used - to the right are my substitutions (if needed to make them everyone friendly!)

Louise's Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake
Louise uses:                             I used:
2 cups flour                              1/2 cup tapioca flour, 3/4 cup almond fl., 3/4 cup rice fl.
3/4 cup sugar                            same
2 and 1/2 tsp. baking powder    same
3/4 tsp. salt                                same
1/4 cup margarine                     1/4 cup Earth Balance spread
3/4 cup milk                              3/4 cup almond milk (or substitute)
1 egg                                         flax gel (mix to follow)
2 cups blueberries                     same

Topping
1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup rice flour, 1 tsp. cinnamon, and 1/4 cup Earth Balance spread.

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease pan.  Blend all ingredients except blueberries and topping.  (I started w/ the dry stuff first) .


2.  TO make flax gel, combine 1 Tbsp. flax meal & 3 Tbsp. hot water.  Mix well & let sit for 10 minutes so that it's gelled.  This is a great egg substitute, when gelled it looks like this:


3.  Beat it all vigorously.  Carefully stir in blueberries.  ( I ended up using some mixed berries)


4.  Spread in greased pan.  Mix topping ingredients & sprinkle over batter:


5. Bake 45-50 minutes.  Don't over bake or cake will be too dry.

ENjoy!!

And THANKS!!  to Grammy for the recipe - Love you!!

p.s. If you have a recipe or two you'd like to share, send em in (ellenmillaine@gmail.com) and you may soon see them RIGHT HERE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment