Spring is in the air......

Friday, March 25, 2011

P.A. Corn Fritters & Curried Cashew and Pea Salad


......Two delicious recipes from two great ladies!! - I found the recipe for the Curried Cashew and Pea Salad on my mom's desk at work and the P.A. Corn Fritters are from my Grammy's famous recipe book.  Both reallllly yummy, both from creative cooks:)!



I know it can be hard to find fresh produce on the East (and in the middle!) around this time of year.  Here's two great veggie sides you can make using canned corn or frozen peas - and still get some of your veggies:)

Curried Cashew & Pea Salad
You could very easily make this vegan, and just skip the bacon baby!  (I did adapt it a little from the original, using dressing instead of sour cream).
-Makes 4-6 servings.
1.  In a medium bowl, combine: 10 oz. frozen peas (thawed and drained - I just ran them under hot water), 5 green onions (chopped), 1/2 cup of chopped celery, 2 slices of bacon (cooked & crumbled).

....I used some fresh celery from the garden!

2.  In another small bowl mix up: 2/3 cup (or less) of vegan poppy-seed dressing, 1 and 1/4 tsp. curry powder or cumin, 1 tsp. salt, an 1/2 tsp. black pepper.
3.  Stir in 1/4 cup roasted cashews before serving.  You could try other nuts too. ~
* I used Nancy's trick here & put them in the oven for a few minutes to roast them up slowly:)
- The recipe suggested serving this on top of lettuce leafs.  We had it as is & it was also good w/ some rice pasta.


YUM!  Thanks Fancy Nancy!!





P.A. Corn Fritters
I adapted Grandma Louise's recipe a bit - instead of an eggs, I used flax meal & I used rice instead of regular flour.
1. In a small bowl combine 2 Tbsp. flax meal and 6 Tbspn. hot water.  Stir until well combined & let sit for a few minutes to gel.
2.  In a large bowl, combine: 1 17 oz. can whole kernel corn, 2 Tbsp. rice flour, 1/2 Tsp. sugar, 1 Tsp. salt, 1/2 Tsp. pepper, and Flax gel = 2 eggs (above:).  Blend until well mixed.


*Louise says you could also use a blender - I think I'm going to try this next time to make them a little coarser.
3.  Heat a few Tbsp. butter substitute on a griddle or large skillet (as much as you need to coat the pan well).  Drop the batter by large Tbsp. onto the griddle.


4. Fry up until they are nicely browned on each sides - a few minuted each - keep checking:)


Louise likes them with molasses or maple syrup - YUM! Try 'em out!

Mine fell apart a bit, but I'll keep experimenting & let you know!.......

"No one who cooks, cooks alone.  Even at her most solitary a cook in the kitchen is surrounded by generations of cooks past, the advice and menus of cooks present, the wisdom of cookbook writers." - Laurie Colwin

4 comments:

  1. don't you know it!! you gotta share some of your recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking of maybe starting a foodie blog... you have inspired me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey you should!!
    It really helps me deal w/ my diet.....& cook more!!

    ReplyDelete