Spring is in the air......

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Gluten-Free Mango Apple Crisp w/ Acai Drizzle


Well, you know I love acai berries, and when I saw this recipe for crisp that included them in the sauce, I just haaad to try it!  It came from a great book I found at my Grandma's house - the "Kitchen Table Book".  Thanks Grammy!! - I'm sure I'll be sharing some more recipes w/ you from here.  I adapted it a little and OF course made it gluten-free and vegan.  This crisp smelled so delicious when it was baking, I barely got it out of the oven before it was gone!!



Seriously, try this out if you're looking for something delicious that you don't have to feel so bad about:)

In case you didn't read my last post about them: Winter Fruit Salad/ Twisted Acai Berry Fruit Smoothie(<------------------------here it is again).  These wonderful little berries are helpful in fighting heart disease and strokes.  They also have potassium & maganese - which help regulate your blood pressure.  Acai berries may also help fight cancer.  "In fact, acai stopped the spread of human lukemia cells by as much as 86 percent in lab tests." (Kitchen Table Book)  Check 'em out - they come most commonly in juice or frozen concentrate.  Acai berries are also detoxifying & healing for your skin eczema sufferers (or just dry skinners:)

SO, without further ado here's the delicious recipe!

Mango Apple Crisp w/ Acai Drizzle
1.  Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F, and lightly grease a 9x9 inch casserole dish.
2.  In a large bowl combine:

14 oz. canned mangoes - drained (or substitute - the original recipe used canned peaches), 3 apples, pealed, cored & sliced, 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract, and 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon.  Stir it up well to coat everything & pour into the baking pan.
3.  In another smaller bowl, combine 3/4 cup and 3 Tbsp. rice flour, 1/4 cup packed brown sugar.  Cut in 3 Tbsp. of butter substitute, so that it becomes a coarser meal.
4.  Sprinkle this mixture over the fruit.  Bake it for about 20 minutes - until browned on the top.
5.  To make the acai drizzle, combine 1 cup of acai juice (I used 2 frozen packets, or you can use the juice:) and 1/2 cup of honey.  Mix it up.


Once baked, serve it up and pour the acai drizzle over it.  


~ ENjoy! (before it's all gone!!........)

1 comment:

  1. I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. bacche di acai e le sue proprietà

    ReplyDelete