Spring is in the air......

Friday, February 11, 2011

Don't Cry Over A Little Spilt ALMOND MILK


Did you know that today is National 'Don't Cry Over Spilt Milk Day'??  I know.....if you're like me, you're thinking "what is this holiday and why have I never heard of it?"  Well it's a day where we can all remember not to cry over a little split milk (or whatever is irking us at the moment).
Think positive! Be optimistic! Look on the bright side! LOVE life! & Don't forget to smile!

....Maybe you can even have a 'Don't Cry Over Spilt Milk' party later and invite all your friends........just remember, if you look for the best in other people, you'll probably find it!



That's enough susie sunshine for now -   Why not try making some almond milk to celebrate! (or as my cousin Peter calls it almond juice.....think about it - he does have a point!)  I couldn't believe how easy it was & how much CHEAPER than buying regular almond milk.  Try it out & you will be amazed.
Spill that old cow's milk all over the table, here's some Almond Milk that we all can Enjoy!!

I started this recipe from another blog: http://www.veganreader.com/2009/09/12/almond-milk-recipe-the-creamiest-of-them-all/, but then adapted it a little for taste and let the almonds sit in the water over night.  If you have a more powerful blender, I'm pretty sure you won't need to do this;)  By the way, the Vegan Blog above also has some good looking articles if you're interested...

ALMOND MILK
In a wide saucepan place 2/3 cup of almonds, and bring them to a boil in about 2 cups of water.



 Boil for 3 minutes and remove from heat.  Drain the almonds & let them cool.  Once cool, the skins should be easy to remove.  Then, take 'em all off!


Now, you if you have a good blender, throw in the almonds and 2 cups of water.  Keep blending until the mixture has a much creamer consistency.  This MAY take a minute + of blending.
(NOTE: I used my immersion blender b/c the regular one broke & it took a reaaaaalllly long time - I wouldn't really recommend this - soaking the mixture overnight did help though!)

There will still be some chunks of almond left in the blender, but you can save these and use them for another recipe.   **Now, you should strain the milk through a mesh strainer to get all the little almond chunks out of your milk** Try the milk now & see what you think.  I added a little vanilla to mine for flavoring.  I also think that soaking the almonds in the water over night may help to add more nutty flavor to the milk as well, so you might want to try this out too.



mmmmmmmm! fresh almond milk/juice just for you!


1 comment:

  1. **Hey guys - I forot to mention b/f that you should strain the milk/juice before you drink it. ( I just added this part in:)

    ReplyDelete