Spring is in the air......

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Rainbow Fruit Salad

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us."  - Helen Keller



This one was inspired by my little sis - she is such a rainbow.  No, for real she is a great motivator for me in life - one minute she's doing an Ironman challenge, the next she's funneling beers like a champ!!  What a girl!  She is always trying to inspire others to eat healthy and exercise.  Last week I was feeling a little over the top & we were having a funny conversation about positivity & shooting rainbows out of our tooshies..............
I know you are thinking what the #$&! But seriously, next time you're feeling a little negative, just think of this and it might make you laugh.  Sunshine, lollipops & rainbows.....it made me feel better!  She also told me a really funny true life story about this.....give me a call & I can share that with you if you need a good laugh!!



OR, you can just make this delicious Rainbow Fruit Salad and brighten up your day in a flash.  Did you know that fruits contain phytochemicals (natural compounds) that you can smell, taste & see? I didn't until I found this article where I got the info:

RED Fruits - may help fight cancer, fights colds, help you see at night (I know some peeps who could use this!!!!!), & keep your heart healthy
ORANGE Fruits - may be an aid in fighting colds, clear out the digestive system like a scrub brush, are a healthy heart aid, & prevent cataracts
YELLOW Fruits - help in scrubbing out the body as well, linked to preventing hypertension
GREEN Fruits - cancer fighters, helps with night vision, prevent arm and leg muscle cramping, help clean out the digestive system
BLUE Fruits - help fight cancers, prevent hypertension
PURPLE Fruits - prevent some cancers, help develop strong blood that carries oxygen


With all of these benefits, how can you not try it out???


Rainbow Fruit Salad
Cut up & combine in a medium bowl: 1/2 pomegranate, handful strawberries, 1 orange, 1 kiwi, & a cup or two of blueberries.

....b/f the saucy sauce

In another bowl I made a dressing to put over it, you can too if you want(I also did this to add something purple & yellow!):
Combine 1/8 cup pureed acai berries (you can use part of one of those acai berry packets), Tbsp. or 2 of fresh honey, Tbsp. agave syrup, & Tbsp. Fresh lemon juice.  Mix well & pour over fruit.

Yum -  This was really tasty & packed with vitamins and energy. Of course you can use whatever fruit you want- just make it colorful! Have a sunshiny day & Enjoy the fruit salad!  I did!

**(Thanks to (http://www.parents-choice.org/article.cfm?art_id=198&the_page=consider_this&CFID=2122029&CFTOKEN=90182774) for the food color info!)**


No comments:

Post a Comment