Spring is in the air......

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup


Cream of broccoli soup has always been one of my favorites.  It's delicious and warm on a cold day, so comforting.  My grandma used to make it for us, and we would always stop at Friendly's for some (I don't know why, but I loooved their cream of broccoli soup!)
So, here's a vegan version of cream of broccoli we can all enjoy - and I have to say it tastes pretty darn close to the real thing...... brings me right back! Try it out!

p.s. the celery in the pic. above is from the garden, and of cooooourse I used in the soup!



Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup 
I adapted this recipe from one I found in "1,000 Vegan Recipes" - a great cookbook my mom got me when I first started trying out this lovely diet:).
1. In a large soup pot, warm 1 tbsp. olive oil.  Add in 1/2 chopped onion (or a few scallions), 2 chopped celery stalks & 2 diced carrot stalks.  Add some salt here & stir up.  Let it cook for about 5 minutes, until you can smell it & the onions start to become translucent.


2.  Now add in 1 pound chopped broccoli, 2 potatoes, 4 cups vegetable broth or water.  (I recommend veggie broth - way more flavor).  Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a rumble:), and cook for about 20 minutes.
3.  Once all of the veggies are cooked & tender, remove the pot from the heat.


 If you have an immersion blender, you can use it here to blend everything in the pot up.  Otherwise, you can put in in the blender in batches to puree.
4.  Once everything is smooth, you can now add 1-2 cups of almond milk (or other milk substitute of your choice).  I say 1-2 depending on how creamy you prefer it.  I used 2 cups, but some people might not like it as creamy as me.  Stir, and add 1 Tbpsn. nutritional yeast (optional).

Taste, and see how you like it - add salt, pepper & other spices as needed.
I felt like I was back at Friendly's........
Enjoy!

**Sorry I don't have a pic. of the final product, we gobbled it up before I had a chance!! Guess it was good-  Happy eating!





"Bad men live that they may eat and drink, whereas good men eat and drink that they may live." - Socrates




2 comments:

  1. i cant believe you grew that celery dude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. me neither!! it's really just baby celery right now , but it's truckin'
    you'll have to come sample some of my fresh veggies soon!

    ReplyDelete