Spring is in the air......

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Gluten-Free Vegan Pie Crust/Great Apple Pie


I thought pie crust was kind-of an ambitious thing.  For one, I have only made real pie crust like once and I remember it not turning out the best. But no longer being able to buy Pillsbury pre-made pie crusts, I still wanna have my pie!!....Then I think of my friend James, who always says that pie crust is so much easier for people to make than they think it is - you just have to have the right tools.  Well, he was right about the tools - the pro mixer really helped a lot!! (better than the spoon a used last time - I KNOW!)

So I decided it was time to make pie crust.:



#1. For my bf - because it's his all-time favorite & he has been one of the nicest and most understanding people about my food issues:) - and lately I have not really been the nicest and most understanding person about my food issues:)

#2 For my mom (and really my dad!) b/c she was asking me to come up with a recipe for gluten-free pie crust & because it's also his all-time favorite -  go figure?!

Here's an amazing recipe for pie crust - you could fill it with any fruit you like.  Obviously I chose apple, but go wild!  The crust was a little difficult to roll out, but more on that later.  Also, double the recipe if you want a top.  This is my first attempt, I'm now on the perfect pie crust mission......stay tuned!
Understand that this pie crust is not the real thing, and you may have some skeptics. However, I thought it was delicious ..... - even more important the apple pie expert I live with thought it was great!! So give it a try. Happy baking!

Pie Crust
I adapted the recipe from this link:  http://glutenfreecooking.about.com/od/dessertsandsweets/r/gftartdough.htm

1. In large bowl, combine: 1 cup brown rice flour, 1/2 cup cornstarch, 1/4 cup sorghum flour, 1/4 cup tapioca flour, 1 Tbsp. cane sugar, 1/4 tsp. xanthan gum, and 1/4 tsp. salt.  Wisk together well.
2. Pour dry mixture of ingredients into food processor or mixer.  Slowly add in 12 Tbsp. OR 3/4 cup cold butter substitute.  I used:

(I know I've talked about this stuff bf - it's a life saver esp. for baking!)

Pulse or mix in blender until the butter chunks are about peas size and incorporated into the flour.:


3. Now add in 4 Tbsp. of water., and mix it up until it just sticks together but isn't too sticky:)
4.  Roll into a ball and refridgerate for at least an hour (or if you're like me stick it in the freezer for a little less)
5.  Once the dough is firm enough, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  
Now you can try and roll the dough out between two sheets of wax paper and put it into a prepared pie pan.  I was having serious issues doing this b/c my dough kept falling apart.  I ended up pressing it into the pie pan - prob. not the best move but it still came out good.

Apple Pie Filling
1. Peal, core and slice up 5-6 apples.  Put into a large bowl and sprinkle with fresh lemon or other citrus juice.  
2.  In another bowl, combine 3/4 cup cane sugar, 1 Tbsp. cinnamon, 1 Tsp. nutmeg, & dash of salt.  Mix well & pour over apples.  Mix again to incorporate.
3.  Pour this mixture into prepared pie crust & top w/ 2-3 Tbsp. butter substitute (optional)
Bake for about 50 minutes & ENjoy!


"Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion.  I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward." - Kurt Vonnegut

3 comments:

  1. I think the reason I had a problem keeping the dough tog. & rolling it out was b/c I didn't use the egg-replacer in the recipe (it called for on egg). I'll let you know if I try this & it comes out better:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pie looks pretty darn good!! you already know i have a
    suggestion for a top 'crust'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!! I think I'm going to try out another pie this weekend - & use your idea of the crumble on top - sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete