Spring is in the air......

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Dog Cookies


Now, it's really food we can all eat!  I know this one is for the dogs....., but it's fast and easy and you should definitely try it out.  Our dog always watches me cook, and I kept thinking that one of these times it would be nice if I was actually making something for him.  Then it just so happened that I was looking through the Moosewood Restaurant Cookbook 'Celebrates", and I found this great recipe for dog treats.  I adapted it a little, but I can tell you they are definitely good - Hugo scarfed them down.  PLUS! you can use some of your flours and other ingredients that you can't eat and feed them to someone who will love them instead.
Just make sure you label them as dog treats:), they smell so good when they're cooking some people around may want to munch a few themselves! (OK, true story:  I guess my bf is wheat deprived because he came home after I was making them and had to try one himself, and then another!!.........)









Dog Cookies
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.  Grease some baking sheets.
2.  In a large bowl, combine 2/3 cup brown rice flour, 1 2/3 cups white flour and 1/2 cup nutritional yeast.
3.  In another smaller bowl, wisk together 3 Tbspn. vegetable oil, 2-3 Tbspn. chopped parsley, 2 garlic cloves (minced or pressed), 2 Tbsp. soy sauce, and 1 cup of water.


4.  Now mix the wet ingredients into the dry until combined.  Put the dough you have made onto a floured surface and knead for 2-3 mins.
5.  Reflour, and roll out the dough until it is about 3/8 inch thick.  Now you can cut out your cookie biscuits.  I used the top of a glass, but you can also use cookie cutters.


6.  Put the cookies onto a your baking sheets.  Now in a small bowl, mix together 2 Tbsp. soy sauce and 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil, and brush this over the cookies.  Bake for 20 minutes.  Turn off the oven, and leave the cookies in to cool for 30-6o minutes (this makes them cruchier).
Feed to your canine friends after they've cooled.......Hugo can't get enough!



2 comments:

  1. that hugi is too cute... and those treats look good enough for dylan to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh lb -he's been going bite for bite!!

    ReplyDelete