Spring is in the air......

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sesame Cabbage Salad

"Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be engaged in lightly."- M.F.K. Fisher



I was inspired to make this cabbage salad by my Aunt Karen.  She makes this really delicious Asian cabbage salad with ramen noodles and it is soooooo good!  I made a version here without the noodles and the soy, and it's yummy.   I have made this salad for the past two nights, and even the two carnivores I dined with last night devoured it - & raved about how good it was!  We also had some grilled jerk chicken - recipe posted b/f: http://recipeswecanalleat.blogspot.com/2011/01/last-nights-dinner.html




I plan on posting a noodle version here we can all eat soon too.....
The cabbage above is form my little cabbage patch - but, unfortunately it's not really ready to eat yet.  I will be using it in some cabbage salad really soon!
Try it out tonight - it's super fast and easy to make & the cabbage is so healthy and cooling - Enjoy!

Sesame Cabbage Salad
I used 1/2 a cabbage, which was plently for 2-3 people.  If you're making it for more just use a whole cabbage & double the rest of the recipe.
1.  In a large bowl, combine 1/2 a thinly shredded cabbage, 3 sliced or shredded carrots, 4 sliced scallions, including the tops, 1/2 cup chopped cashews (or other nuts), 1/4 cup white and black sesame seeds.  Toss.

..............I did get to use some onions from the garden

2.  In a small sauce pan, combine 1/4 cup cider vinegar, 1/2 cup veg oil, 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter, 1/2 cup sugar cane &  Tsp. salt (+ more if needed for taste).  Heat and bring to a boil.  Boil for one minute & keep stirring.  Remove from heat & let cool.
3.  Once the dressing is cool, pour it all over the salad & toss to coat.
YUM!!






No comments:

Post a Comment