Spring is in the air......

Monday, February 28, 2011

Creamy Vegan Winter Veggie Soup



"As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people the permission to do the same." - Nelson Mandela

If you're feeling like you still need some warming up, this should do the trick!  This creamy veggie soup was made entirely with fresh winter veggies from my garden in the pic. above!!
I can't really try and act like i was trying to be all 'farm to table' and use what I had in my own back yard, although I did do this (pat on the back:)  Really, we were coming home from the Flea Market yesterday & I saw how many cars there were in the parking lot at the grocery store......and then I flashed back to last weekend when I thought it would be a good idea to go to take a drive to Whole Foods on Sunday (NOT a good idea in case you didn't already know this).



Soooo, I started scrounging around in the back yard and there were TONS of new veggies.  And then I had the idea to make this delicious creamy winter veggie soup!!  Try some out tonight if you're feelin' chilly - you can use the veggies I did, or improvise with whatever you have around.  Either way, I'm sure it'll be marvelous!  - Really helped with my carvings for something creamy and cheesy!

Creamy Vegan Winter Veggie Soup
This made enough for about 2 people - just multiply if you need more:)
1. In a large soup pot, heat up 1 Tbsp. olive oil (medium heat).  Add in 1/2 chopped onion or few scallions, 3 chopped carrots, 3 chopped celery stalks, and 2 cloves minced garlic.  Cook & stir for a few minutes until everything is sweating  - it will smell delicious!
2.  Add in 1 medium sliced golden beet, and stir for another minute.  Then add in a few handfuls of broccoli, purple broccoli and/or cauliflower.

purple broccoli from the garden!

3.  Now add in a handful of sliced peas and a few pieces of mustard greens (well sliced, shredded & diced into pieces).   Stir it all up and add in some fresh ground pepper & salt.
4. Stir in 1 Tbsp. fresh chopped parsley and 1/2 Tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro (or whatever spices you like).  Cook for a minute, and add in 1 cup of vegetable broth and 1 cup of water.  Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer.  Cook this for a few minutes until everything is tender.  
5.  Now in a blender puree 1 cup rice milk and 1/2 cup of cashews.  Blend until it's all creamy.


Once the soup is cooked up, stir in this mixture.  I also added 1/4 cup chopped cashews here, but it's good w/ o too!
6.  Cook for one more minute, stirring & it's done.


Scoop into some bowls & ENjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment